“Certain Portable Communication Devices”
Next Event: Investigation terminated following settlements.
Summary: Digitude Innovations asserted that smartphones and tablets produced by several manufacturers infringe on four of their patents, and requested a limited exclusion order banning the importation and sale of the infringing products. The Defendants include RIM, HTC, LG, Motorola, Samsung, Sony, Amazon, Nokia, and Pantech. The investigation was terminated following settlements between Digitude and patent firm RPX Corporation.
Timeline of Important Events:
- December 2, 2011 – Digitude Innovations (hereafter “Digitude”) files their initial complaint. (Document #465782).
- December 16, 2011 – Digitude files an amended complaint, adding Pantech as a respondent. (Document #466874).
- January 13, 2012 – The Commission opens an investigation an assigns ALJ Robert K. Rodgers Jr.
- February 13, 2012 – ALJ Rodgers issues the procedural schedule, setting hearings to begin January 22, 2013, and establishing a due date for an Initial Determination of March 18, 2013, with a target date for completion of the investigation on July 18, 2013. (Document #471798).
- February 22, 2012 – HTC (Document #472544), RIM (Document #472549) (confidential), LG (Document #472551), Samsung (Document #472554) (confidential), Amazon (Document #472569), Motorola (Document #472576), Sony (Document #473604), Nokia (Document #472578), and Pantech (Document #472585) respond to the complaint, all denying the alleged infringement.
- March 23, 2012 – Digitude files a second amendment complaint. (Document #475729).
- May 8, 2012 – Digitude and RIM, LG, Motorola, Samsung, Sony, Amazon, and Pantech jointly move to terminate the investigation following a settlement between Digitude and RPX Corporation. (Document #479692). HTC and Nokia file a similar motion on May 11, 2012. (Document #480138).
- May 31, 2012 – ALJ Rodgers grants motions to terminate. (Document #481530).
- June 29, 2012 – The Commission determines not to review the Initial Determinations terminating the investigation. The investigation is thereby terminated. (Document #484255).
|Patents Asserted in the Complaint|
|6456841||Mobile communication apparatus notifying user of reproduction waiting …|
|6208879||Mobile information terminal equipment and portable electronic apparatus|
|5929655||Dual-purpose I/O circuit in a combined LINK/PHY integrated circuit|
|5926636||Remote procedural call component management method for a heterogeneous …|